Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunshine Orange Cake


Here’s an idea for those of us looking to get a little more fruit into their diets. Sunshine Orange Cake looks freshly picked from a Florida orange grove. It even slices into sections, sort of like the real thing.

According to the website of the Sunkist Growers association, oranges contain numerous health benefits. A single navel orange provides 130 percent of your daily value of Vitamin C, and contains powerful antioxidants. Oranges are fat free and are a good source of potassium and phytochemicals. Oranges even contain pectin, which may lower blood cholesterol levels.


In the spirit of full disclosure, Sunshine Orange Cake offers none of these benefits. It does, however, contain a healthy dose of butter cream frosting, which includes a touch of Vitamin A and absolutely no carbohydrates! The white cake takes care of that. I won’t get into the cholesterol discussion. No need to cast a rain cloud over all this sunshine.



If truth be told, since the famous Watermelon Cake, I’ve been a little obsessed with the idea of making confections look like real food. I’ve brainstormed a “Hard Boiled Egg Cake,” a “Pink Grapefruit Cake” a “Granny Smith Apple Cake” and even an “Okra Cake.” It is likely an expert therapist could link this all back to an early childhood penchant for playing with my food. I prefer to believe that I have an inner-artist who must express himself through the medium of cake.

I’m currently giving some serious thought to a “Broccoli Cake” – for those of us health-minded individuals who want to have our cake and eat it.

©2007 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

14 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

You had me hooked -- right up to the broccoli cake.... This orange cake is a hoot, though -- so realistic! And none of the acid of the real thing. Well done, TW!

The Old Foodie said...

Please tag this as a Retro Cake t.w! It looks fabulous. Somewhere or other Francatelli (I think?) has recipes for cakes that look like legs of ham or other meat (complete with pool of gravy). I'll find and send!

Peabody said...

That is SOOOO cute.

Patricia Scarpin said...

This is an unusual cake, T.W.!
For me, at least. :)

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Lydia - don't you hate it when oranges are too acidic? I prefer this sweeter version!

Hi Janet - If you find the recipe for leg of ham cake with gravy, I will make it!

Peabody - Thanks so much!

Patricia - but I thought you LOVED citrus flavors!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I do, T.W. - it's the decoration that surprised me!

Anonymous said...

You have so outdone yourself, T.W.! This is an amazing cake, like the fact that there are no carbs in the frosting ;).

Brilynn said...

That cake is adorable!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Brilliant!
Healthy~
And no seeds.
You have outdone yourself this time.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

T.W., I just love the beautiful and festive cakes you make. Like your watermelon one from a while back, this just bring a smile to my face!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Veron - I try to keep my cakes as healthy as possible. :-)

Thanks, Brilynn!

Sandi - maybe I should make a Fried Green Tomato Cake next?

Susan - Thanks so much! We specialize in "orange smiles!" :-)

Stella said...

I love your cake & the way you've decorated it. It's VERY pretty!
And brocoli cake? I can't wait to see how you've whipped it out!

Jessica said...

That is so beautiful! I'm itching to know how you did it (did I miss it somewhere?)!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Thanks, Valentina!

Jessica, I used a half-globe pan, and sliced it into sections. Then I used icing between the slices for the "rind" and finished the whole thing with orange icing.