Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Seaside Wedding Cake

A few weeks back, my cousin Wendy married John on a cliff overlooking Long Island Sound. It was one of those brilliant and blissful summer days. Family was present in abundance and the afternoon sun cast a warm, golden glow over the bride and groom, the celebration and the beach below.

Wendy and John’s talented friend Joey Italiano created this whimsical wedding cake that tied the celebration to the exquisite location. A four-tier extravaganza in turquoise blue, the cake was studded with alabaster scallop shells and assorted jewels of the sea. How delicious to celebrate their sweet union with a confection that so perfectly captured the magnificence of the surroundings!

©2010 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a beautiful and unique wedding cake and absolutely perfect for the seaside setting. Congratulations to John and Wendy.

That area of Long Island is so gorgeous and ideal for a wedding. My husband spent his summers on Shelter Island and this reminds me very much of the views overlooking the bay.
Sam

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely and unique cake. The wedding sounds idyllic and I'm sure the gathering of family and friends got this marriage off to a great start. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

That's some cake! I couldn't in a million years imagine myself making something like this. I hope it helped launch your cousin and her husband on a beautiful life together.

Deana Sidney said...

That cake looked like a majolica dream... beautiful beautiful work. Lovely day and great way to start a life together with friends who make things like this for you... great cake!!!

~~louise~~ said...

Congratulations to the Bride and Groom! I'm sure it was a memorable day for all. It's wonderful to see Long Island in all her glory:) I do miss it sometimes...

That cake is simply gorgeous! I bet it tasted yummy too:)

Thanks for sharing, T.W.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is one amazing cake! Looks like it was a beautiful celebration! Angie

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

The cake was, indeed, delicious. My rule of thumb at any wedding is to always have two pieces of wedding cake, just to make sure the first piece was as good as I thought it was.

veron said...

gorgeous cake! Love the color!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This is really a neat cake and very appropos given the setting. That's a beautiful shot of the beach. Congratulations to John and Wendy!

Jann said...

What a gorgeous cake-the talent some people have never ceases to amaze me!

Lori Lynn said...

Congrats to your cousin and John. What a darling cake!
LL

Velva said...

That is beautiful!!!!