Sunday, October 12, 2008

Economic Remedy

Has the news got you down? Global economic woes got you in a slump? Cheer up – apple season is in full swing!

Okay, maybe food can’t actually solve everything. If a glistening green Granny Smith is not enough to inoculate you against all the financial and political shenanigans going on at the moment, how about a golden apple cake drenched in bath of buttery-bourbon?

The economy is tough, and politics is grueling (ask any Joe Six Pack). But there’s always bourbon. And, this Bourbon Apple Cake by The Minimalist Mark Bittman is easy. Nothing fancy – flour, sugar, butter and pureed apples combined in the food processor, and baked in a no-frills 9-by-13 pan. And, if the current political campaign is driving you to drink, here’s a technique that won’t require a congressional vote – a cup of bourbon is warmed with butter and sugar and used to soak the cake. The result is robust, autumn flavor and a nice warm glow, even if the sputtering economy leaves you cold.

There’s another Presidential debate scheduled for this Wednesday. You might want to have a slice of Bourbon Apple Cake handy. I promise – my friends – you will not be undecided about this cake.

©2008 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

11 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

This looks like a great cake

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I think this election season will require far more booze in this cake to get us through!

Anonymous said...

I never have a spare cup of Bourbon laying around though!!!!

~~louise~~ said...

Thanks for the smile T.W.

I sure did need it. I certainly could use a "bath of buttery bourbon" with a slice to the side please:) I'm staying far far way from Hofstra...

Kathy said...

That cake looks really good.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

You know just how to cheer me up, TW.

Rochelle R. said...

I make a bourbon marinade quite often but have never tried it in a cake. I'll have to give it a try.

Cate Bruce-Low said...

gorgeous, perfect cake...and the bourbon would also be a cure for the slump in the economy...giggle.

Cakespy said...

Tee hee...the title and the pic say it so well--but even better that you sweetened the deal with a recipe! :-)

Colette Burke said...

Knee deep in windfall apples, and lured by the promise of bourbon comfort, I actually got around to making this cake. Delicious.Colette.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Helene -- it's very tasty. Smooth and mellow.

Lydia -- I'm thinking of bringing in an extra supply! :-)

Freya -- so, you've already been indulging in economic recovery, eh?

Louise -- do you think I should set up a concession stand at Hofstra?

Kathy -- it started the week off right!

Susan -- keep that smile, three more weeks to go ...

Rochelle -- I've actually only baked with bourbon - will have to try the marinade idea.

Cate -- cake provides multiple dividends!

Hi Cakespy -- I guess you noticed the bottle is getting low ...

Colette -- there's always the bourbon! So pleased that my little campaign inspired you to bake!