Monday, August 18, 2008

Jedediah Hawkins Inn - A Taste of Honey

What better way to spend a glorious summer afternoon than to dine with a dear friend at the home of a legendary sea captain, set amidst the farmlands of the North Fork of Long Island?


Built in 1863 and restored in 2005, The Jedediah Hawkins Inn is a towering Victorian mansion, a colorful edifice against the deep blue sky. JoAnn notes that Miss Haversham of Great Expectations must surely be lurking in one of the upper rooms. Inside, we are treated to fine Long Island wine and exquisite entrees, created from locally grown produce. Ensconced at a window looking out on the garden, we savor “The World’s Greatest Lobster Roll,” appropriately named …


… Seared sea scallops atop a dressing of summer corn, asparagus and bacon …


… And a dessert that has me absolutely buzzing – a Honey Tasting, with different varieties of honey from wildflowers and lavender and a scrumptious stack of cheese and home-baked cookies. The luscious honey flavors range from molasses to citrus to spicy rosemary. It is like a sun-drenched stroll in a summer garden.


… All under the watchful eye of the dashing seafarer, Jedediah Hawkins.



©2008 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a splendid mansion. The food you had sounds delicious!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi T.W.
Jamesport is so beautiful this time of year. I wasn't aware of the restoration done to the legendary Jedediah House. It looks magnificent!

I'm especially intrigued by the Honey Tasting. Is it held like a wine tasting? Next month is National Honey Month. I will have to explore this further. Thanks so much for sharing...

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

A honey tasting is a fantastic idea for a dessert -- I always have a few types of honey on hand, including honey from a few of my beekeeping friends. The rest of your meal looks like perfect summer fare, too.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Veron - it was a delicious afternoon - such a perfect summer meal! (By the way, I'm currently in one of your favorite food destinations in Virginia!)

Louise - It is such a beautiful spot - if you haven't yet moved to PA full time, you should visit. I can't wait to see what you do with National Honey Month!

Hi Lydia - I have a couple of honey varieties as well - I can't wait to try this out on guests!

Rochelle R. said...

The lobster roll lunch looks incredibly delicious. I presume the inn is furnished in period furniture I bet it is as lovely inside as out.

Kathy said...

T.W. - You certainly are near a lot of interesting places. The whole meal looks delicious. I like the idea of the Honey Tasting for dessert and appreciate the photo so I can see what it looks like from far away.

Cakespy said...

Ohhh my! That lobster roll looks heavenly. Although, it looks like Jedediah is sort of annoyed that you didn't share. And I have to echo those before me in the comments--a honey tasting!? Count me in!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Hi Rochelle - the Inn is pretty exquisite in many ways - there are beautiful gardens, and a wine cellar dining area that has a mood all its own.

Kathy - when I saw it on the menu, I had to have the Honey Tasting!

Cakespy - I'll bet Jedediah never held a Honey Tasting while he lived there ... :-)

Cate said...

Love the house's architecture. I don't know what has my mouth watering more - the lobster roll or the honey tasting. Looks like a great meal!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Hi Cate - thanks for visiting! Interestingly, the JH Inn was an old, run down wreck for years before it was restored in 2005. The neighborhood kids considered it the local "haunted house." Fortunately, the restoration -- and honey tasting -- have improved the reputation!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Delicious food in an awesome location. Great!