Sunday, March 23, 2008

Enchanted Egg Cake



The Easter season always inspires my memories of the Enchanted Egg. While I can barely remember the story, the image is fixed in my mind, an icon of the spring celebration. It was an exquisitely-decorated egg with a mysterious hole at one end. Peer into the hole, and inside you’d discover an enchanted world of eternal springtime.

The legend of the Enchanted Egg appears to spring from a children’s book of the same name, written by Peggy Burrows in 1956. The cover looks very familiar to me, but the tale has faded into my distant memories.



Richly decorated eggs have been a part of the Easter celebration for centuries. Ukrainian Easter Eggs, called "pysanka" were given as gifts as a symbol of spiritual rebirth. For many years, jewel-encrusted Faberge Eggs were presented by Russian Tsar Alexander III to Empress Maria as an annual Easter gift. Each egg contained a surprise hidden inside.

In the holiday television special, It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown, Snoopy picks up an Enchanted Egg in a department store and gazes in. He even leaps into the egg and dances a minuet in a meadow filled with cuddly white bunnies.

When I was a just a youngster, my grandmother Hilda even found us an Enchanted Egg, probably in the local candy and stationary store. It was made of white granulated sugar with squiggly pastel yellow trim. When you looked into the spy-hole you were treated to a bucolic spring scene. We kept it for several years and displayed it every Easter. In elementary school, I even crafted an Enchanted Egg the color of a robin’s egg out of paper Mache in Mrs. Shaw's art class. My mother still displays it each Easter in her home.



I decided to recreate the Enchanted Egg as a cake for our family’s Easter Dinner, decorated with butter cream and fondant. Before you leave, click below to take a peek inside the Enchanted Egg and revel in a sweet and magical melody of spring.


©2008 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

That is one magical egg -- I peeked inside and saw all the things that are still below the ground in my garden. Lucky are the people who get to eat that beautiful cake today.

Anonymous said...

I've never looked inside an enchanted egg, TW, but now I know what it's like. This is a beautiful post. Buona Pasqua!
...and Happy Springtime.

Veron said...

Happy Easter , T.W.! Beautiful pictures of the flowers of spring and great job on the enchanted egg cake. It is truly enchanting!

Lidian said...

Just beautiful!

Kathy said...

Nice looking cake--especially the inside! I love the pink striped flower.

Rochelle R. said...

What a lovely cake and beautiful spring flowers. Once I had a kit to make molded sugar egg diaramas but alas I never made one.

Cakespy said...

OMG!! I love that book!! And it delighted me to see your Cake rendition! Delightful, whimsical and looks absolutely delicious. Wonderful!

Colette Burke said...

TW, I am nothing short of awestruck at the skill and patience needed to produce this cake.It looks wonderful and I'm sure tastes just as good.

~~louise~~ said...

{{{Oh My Goodness}}}

The Old Foodie said...

Great Fun t.w. I bet your family love looking forward to your cakey treats on special days.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Thanks,everyone! The Enchanted Egg Cake did taste wonderful, but with far less protein than your typical Easter Egg.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, TW, I do adore your enchanting cakes. They remain some of my favorite posts on your blog. This is especially beautiful. Thanks for sharing it and the lovely tale with us.