Sunday, September 13, 2015

"Long Island Food: A History From Family Farms & Oysters to Craft Spirits" by T.W. Barritt Debuts September 14

I’m excited to share news of the September 14th publication of my first book, “Long Island Food: A History from Family Farms & Oysters to Craft Spirits.” It’s the story of a suburban boy’s search for his hometown food culture, published by the History Press.

Growing up well fed on meatloaf, tuna casserole and TV dinners, I had little knowledge of Long Island’s rich agricultural and maritime history. The book explores the past, but looks to those people who are advancing Long Island’s food legacy today in delicious new ways, in community agriculture, wine, cheese, bread, fine dining and craft spirits. There’s even a chapter on Long Island’s pickle pedigree. 


I’m grateful to all of the people who generously shared their stories. It was certainly an unforgettable experience to travel Long Island over the past year and talk directly to the people who are defining what our food culture is all about. My thanks, also, to the many photographers whose beautiful work illustrates the volume. In particular, I must thank Jacob Skoglund, a talented young photographer who served as image curator for the project. 

“Long Island Food” is available on Amazon and through History Press. There’s also a Facebook page, so please “like” that if you are able. I hope you enjoy exploring the story of Long Island food as much as I did. I think you'll find it a deliciously surprising adventure!

©2015 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Congratulations on your book TW. You are certainly an expert on Long Island food. I know the book will be well received and a big success. Job well done!
Sam

~~louise~~ said...

I never truly appreciated the extraordinary history planted in Long Island's air, soils and seas until moving to Pennsylvania.

Congratulations to you T.W! I am absolutely thrilled for you and your lucky book audience. I am sure they will yearn to share in the history of Long Island's food culture as much as I do.

It sounds like you had an amazing crew to share your dream. Thank you, T.W. You know I will be checking out your book. I'm thinking I may get a hold of it for my October vacation plane ride, lol...

Good Luck T.W. "See" you on the Best Seller list, lol...good Lord willing and the creek don't freeze:) Soooooooo Pinning!!!

Velva said...

Yay! Congratulations! Very exciting for you. I know your book will be very successful.

Velva

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

My sincere congratulations T.W. How exciting for you.