Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Peachy Jam


Saturday To-Do List:

1) Visit neighborhood farmers market early before it gets too hot; purchase best selection of ripe peaches.
2) Admire and adore the color and texture of the peaches, even if we don't know exactly where they came from, and farmer is kind of vague about their origin. Contemplate how their lovely blush color seems so iridescent in the sunlight.  
3) Resolve to hang on to that peachy summer goodness as long as possible.

4) Peal and chop peaches fine and add lemon juice and a ton of sugar.

5) Simmer mixture on stove until it looks a bit like corn chowder.
6) Add liquid pectin and raise heat until mixture turns amber gold, and is the viscosity of warm honey. Inhale and appreciate how entire kitchen smells like warm peach pie.  
7) Affirm that personal canning skills remain in tip top shape. Fill rustic mason jars with hot peach syrup and process in a boiling water canning bath.  

8)  Listen for popping sound to assure that vacuum seal has been achieved.   

9)  Cut a thick slice of artisan bread and slather with gooey, golden  peach jam.  Marvel at fact that summer flavors and memories can be savored well into the winter months.   
© 2013 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved   


11 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

There's no other fruit that I love better than peaches. Sadly, our local peaches are all gone. We ate the last ones earlier this week.

But look at you - you are canning yours. I'm jealous. Now you'll be able to enjoy their goodness all winter long.
Sam

Barbara said...

Smart man. I adore peaches, but have never made jam. Wish I could steal one of your jars!
I have one more peach post I better squeeze in before fall!

Zany said...

That's it. I really need to try canning.

Velva said...

Peaches make delightful jams. Last year, I picked up 40-lbs ( yes, I lost my mind) of peaches in North Carolina during peak season. I think spent 2-days canning. It was beautiful thing.

I love the jars that you used. Perfect for gift giving.

Velva

Laura Luciano said...

Looks Great TW... cannot wait to fill my new pantry up with lovely canning like these :)

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Fall, T.W!

Well I know for sure you didn't go to Davis Peach Farm. (I'm not even sure they are still in business) They would know for sure where their peaches came from! Right off the trees:)

I had two disappointing episodes with peaches this year but, I did manage to make my very first Peach Galette from gorgeous peaches.

I don't think I'm ready for jam making yet. You always have a way of tempting me though. I can just imagine you sipping a glass of Riesling while you were "pretending" to make jam. Which, by the way, your "peachy summer goodness" looks absolutely lovely. Great To-Do-List!

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. Enjoyed your article in Edible Long Island!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Nicely done! I usually get to the point of bringing them home, admiring them... and then watching them turn overripe before I get around to doing anything with them.

Catherine said...

Dear T.W., Simple to follow and perfect instructions! Delicious!
Blessings, Catherine

Gloria Baker said...

nicely done T.W. I love to make jams and this look awesome!!
Look yummydelicious:)

Deana Sidney said...

I just love your little jars. I really have begun to think those big jars are unnecessary. I love jams and jellies but don't eat enough of it that often so they sit (they meaning 4 different kinds) in the overstuffed fridge taking up space.

Love the peach --- one of my favorites.

Amanda said...

Um, don't you think it's a teensy bit weird that none of the jam nor the pesto have "magically" been delivered to my office tied up in a bow?