Sunday, January 13, 2013

Comfort and Joy – Skillet Macaroni and Cheese


Well, I said I needed shortcuts this holiday season.   Who would have guessed that a pretty ingenious culinary hat trick would arrive at my doorstep in the form of an early Christmas present?  

My favorite high school English teacher, Mrs. Kast and I always exchange Christmas gifts, and this year her present to me was “The Cook’s Country Cookbook,” a collection of classic and heirloom recipes.  

Imagine the technical precision of America’s Test Kitchen, combined with the sheer joy of classic comfort food.   I was hooked with the table of contents. A recipe for Skillet Macaroni and Cheese instantly intrigued me.   (A version of the recipe can be found here.) Forget about pre-boiling macaroni, simmering a white sauce, or lengthy baking time.   The chefs at Cook’s Country figured out how to make a gooey, cheesy, comforting macaroni dish all in a single skillet in about 10 minutes.  
Dried macaroni shells are simmered in seasoned evaporated milk.   Once the shells cook and the sauce thickens, it’s enriched with handfuls of Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese.  I used high fiber macaroni and threw in sautéed garlic and broccoli florets for an extra health boost. 


It’s a brilliant one skillet dish, with enough macaroni and stringy cheese to sooth any holiday bruises.    
Forget fancy shmancy.   I’ll take a serving of Skillet Macaroni and Cheese any day of the week.  With recipes like this, I have more time to focus on trying to keep my New Year's Resolutions! 

©2012 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Macaroni and cheese in 10 minutes - unbelievable. Wait until the blue box figures this out. I bet they will be jealous.
Sam

~~louise~~ said...

Top of the morning to you T.W! And what a way to begin a day!!!

That book has been on my list for ages and now that I've gotten to see the results of just one of its contents, I must get it yesterday!

Ingenious! I've heard of cooking with dry pasta but to know the results are fabulous makes me want to get it right now.

Thank you so much for sharing your new gift with us.

Anonymous said...

We'll be there in five minutes....

Kat said...

sounds easy and delicious. My Grandchildren just left, but next time they come, I am looking up this recipe. I like the added broccoli, nice touch to take some of the guilt away!

Gloria Baker said...

Macarone and cheese is absolutely delicious one of my favorites!!

Velva said...

I think mac n' cheese is one of my favorite foods. I really like the idea of cooking the shells in evaporated milk, then tossing the cheese. Very cool. A handful of broccoli is good too.

Awesome that you exchange Christmas presents with your elementary school teacher. That is extra-special.

Velva

Zany said...

TEN MINUTES?! This is not good for a new mom...

Kathy said...

Can't wait to try this! Maybe it will convert my husband over from the stuff from the box that he claims is his comfort food.

Anonymous said...

Whata divine & very statisfying dinner! yummy Yum, I say!

Real comfort good!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

No excuse not to make mac and cheese when it can be done this fast.