Sunday, May 02, 2010

Pretty in Pink

I rarely keep ice cream in the house, but reminiscing about early cravings for fresh bread got me thinking about other childhood favorites. From there, it wasn’t a big leap to ice cream.

In our family, ice milk was an everyday dessert. On occasion, Neapolitan ice cream was sliced in rectangular slabs so each member of the family could get an equal serving of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. Friendly’s Ice Cream was the stuff of family celebrations. My brother Jim’s favorite flavor was Mint Chocolate Chip. Ken’s top choice was Butter Crunch. My favorite was Peppermint Stick, usually available around Christmas. As for John, he was, and remains to this day, a diehard Carvel fan. Whenever he’s in town, we make a special trip.

But, oh, that Friendly’s Peppermint Stick Ice Cream! So festive, so sweet, so pink, and studded with bursts of peppermint candy shards! I wasn’t sure if it was still available, but then I think, “Hey, I can make this myself.” So I pull out the Krups La Glaciere and get to work.

The recipe is simple. One cup of milk is warmed on the stove. Two eggs are whisked separately with ½ cup of sugar. The hot milk is slowly added to the sugar and then the total mixture is heated until thickened. Let cool to room temperature and add two cups of cream. The final two ingredients are key – two teaspoons of peppermint extract, and a couple of drops of red food coloring to get that perfect preppy pink color.

Chill in the refrigerator overnight and then process in an ice cream maker according to directions. But don’t forget the most important addition – the real authenticity comes with those shreds of peppermint candy that pop in your mouth like little sugary blasts. I smash a handful of peppermint “starlight mints.”

The ice cream maker revs up, creating gorgeous pink waves.

As the ice cream thickens, the candies are added in the final step.

And, what could be better than serving a perfect scoop in a Comet Cup cone?

This stuff isn’t gonna last long. Fortunately, I rarely keep ice cream in the house. Self control is an important attribute for an adult.

©2010 T.W. Barritt all Rights Reserved

13 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Oh T.W., you are making me strongly regret that I gave away my ice cream maker so I would have room for a panini press. That peppermint ice cream is calling my name and it's only 7 in the morning here.

I guess soon I'm going to need a kitchen the size of Ina Garten's to hold all of the appliances I love. I also believe that's not going to happen though.

We can't keep ice cream in the house either, although we do keep a little sorbet and have a very small ice cream scoop and that seems to help with self restraint.

Have a great weekend and stay away from Times Square.
Sam

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

OMG This looks so good. Nothing compares to homemade ice cream! The weather around these parts is in the 80's perfect for serving ice cream. I really must invest in an ice cream maker. Which brand do you recommend?
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Linda Eatherton said...

OK now you have touched my Dairy Queen's heart and my memories. In my hometown we had a Velvet Freeze where we gathered for pink peppermint ice cream but ours had tiny round beads of peppermint. For years after moving away I would crave the creamy, crunchy, cold confection. I finally got over it...until now!!

Kalyn Denny said...

I can't have ice cream in the freezer around here or it repeatedly calls my name until it's all been consumed, but I'd love a sample of this!

Julia said...

I used to make ice milk growing up, too! But we never made the custard first... I love that idea -- the creamy texture without the extra cream.

Mary Bergfeld said...

That looks wonderful. Peppermint ice cream is a favorite of mine as well. This is a great recipe. I hope you are having a fabulous day. Blessings...Mary

Velva said...

Kids love peppermint ice cream. Growing-up in Florida ice cream was high on the list of favorites all-year round. Personally, I loved vanilla ice cream with crushed with oreo cookies.

Great post.

Lori Lynn said...

Sweet post T.W.!
It's been years since I've had it, thanks for the taste!
LL

tasteofbeirut said...

You crack me up! Self control is indeed an important attribute; please keep us informed of how long the ice cream lasts in your freezer! Looks great by the way!

Fresh Local and Best said...

What a delight! This post inspires thoughts of the sweet relief and fun that ice cream provides during the summers. It's always interesting to hear what someone's favorite flavor of ice cream is. I don't think anyone has ever told me peppermint. This sure does look good.

Stacey Snacks said...

Now I want an icecream maker!
you make it look so easy.
I used to love Neopolitan ice cream.
I would eat all the chocolate and leave the vanilla and strawberry for someone else!

Foodiewife said...

Bingo! This is my #1 favorite ice cream flavor of all time. I've been looking for a tried & true recipe, so I won't have to wait till Christmas. Two scoops, please!

veron said...

I rarely keep ice cream in the house too but that's because hubby finishes it off quickly unless it's vanilla. I love the pink color. Better start cranking on my ice cream maker.