Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Merry, Merry Wafflemas!

What kind of chef would buy a waffle maker at an office supply store?

Well, uh, that would be me …

I’ve been inclined towards impulse purchases this season. After six sweaters, three DVD collections, four pairs of sox and a partridge in a pear tree, how bad is one little waffle maker, really? The price is great and one must be ready to deck the halls for that most festive season of Wafflemas.


You’ve heard of Wafflemas, haven’t you? That most wonderful time of the year? Jingle bells, Ho-Ho-Ho, chestnuts roasting on an open fire and golden waffles on the griddle?

For the celebration of Wafflemas, I choose a recipe for Nutty Whole Wheat Waffles from the manufacturer’s instruction booklet. I can almost hear the choirs of angels as the tawny batter spreads across the griddle.

Within minutes, I’ve got a stack of golden waffles with lots of nooks and crannies to hold the melted butter, drizzled with maple syrup and raspberry fruit syrup made from berries picked at Restoration Farm. Joy to the World!

Breakfast for dinner is holiday bliss, and I’ve consumed just enough carbs to send me happily waddling towards the winter solstice.

Nutty Whole Wheat Waffles
(Adapted from Cuisinart Classic Waffle Maker Instruction Booklet ©2007)

¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
½ tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup low fat milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
¼ cup chopped pecans
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth. Let batter sit 5 minutes while griddle preheats.

Pour ½ cup batter onto the center of the griddle and use a heat proof spatula to spread evenly. Cook several minutes until golden. Serve with maple syrup and fruit.
May your days be merry and bright, and may all your waffles be light!
©2009 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

15 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I've never made waffles but I know how delicious they are with maple syrup.

Fresh Local and Best said...

I can hear the choirs of angels right now too! The last time I had pecan waffles was at a diner in Houston, TX and I've not forgotten how delicious the nutty and crispy waffles were. Ho ho ho indeed!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I've never made waffles, but yours with the whole wheat flour and nuts make waffles sound almost healthy. Lovely presentation too. You got it an office supply store? What a find.

Lately I've seen waffles served with dinner sauce toppings too such as mushrooms or lobster. Looks like you can have some ho,ho,ho after Christmas too.
Sam

Julia said...

I'm stuggling to figure out why an office supply store would have a waffle maker... probably for the office holiday yankee swap.

I love the idea of wafflemas and your holiday greeting. So very festive.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've always been afraid to buy a waffle maker. I love waffles with maple syrup, especially for dinner, and I can imagine becoming completely addicted to waffle making. Danger, danger... must not lead self into temptation.

~~louise~~ said...

I bought my first waffle maker when the kids came to visit. We had a blast with it!!! As a matter of fact, I have quite a selection of leftover waffles waiting for me in my freezer in PA. They freeze beautifully:)

With that pat of butter on top and the layer of raspberries, your waffle looks like a perfect "cap" for Santa.

Have fun with your new "toy" T.W. And remember, Chicken & Waffle Day is just around the corner!!! I'm off to price a new food processor!!!

Kathy said...

I used to have a waffle maker, but it had to go in order to make room for other things. Your waffles look delicious though, and they're putting dangerous thoughts in my head. Hope I don't see one when I go to stock up on printer supplies!

Foodiewife said...

We love waffles, and I'm always looking for a "scratch" version. I found one! heehee.

An office supply store? Who knew? Hopefully, it was a bargain you couldn't pass up. I love when I find those!

Diana Leto said...

Those look amazing! I am going to have to make some wafflemas this year.
This way every time a kitchen timer rings a waffle gets its maple syrup.

Christo Gonzales said...

what perfect waffles - my ancient waffle maker is so fickle I rarely get any good ones - but I keep on trying.

Zany said...

So - what was better...these waffles or the Waffle Truck waffles??

veron said...

Hey -if it works why not. You find the most interesting things at an office supply store. Happy waffling.

Anonymous said...

haha.. I think you should put a trademark on the term "wafflemas". Who knows? It might be the next big thing. Nice to know office supply stores sell waffle makers. I'll be on the look-out. :)

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Well, I hope you're all enjoying the delectable season of Wafflemas! There are so many ways to celebrate. Remember, there will be plenty of time for Christmas Cookies next week!

Jann said...

I love making waffles~my kids had a Micky Mouse waffle maker-remember???it's been a while, but I bet I could haul that ole thing out and whip up a batch of these delicious looking treats! You found a great deal!!!