Thursday, October 08, 2009

Potatoes! Sweet!

The harvest at Restoration Farm has taken on an autumnal hue. Heaps of sweet potatoes shine like burnished copper nuggets in the mid-morning sun.

How to prepare? Savory or sweet?

Sweet Potato Walnut Bread is a hearty autumn treat, scented with whole wheat, cinnamon and earthy walnuts. The sugars in the grated sweet potato caramelize as the bread bakes, creating a luscious sticky-toffee quality.

Sweet Potato Walnut Bread

(Adapted from “From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce” by the Madison Area CSA Coalition)

1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cups vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups grated sweet potato
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Sift flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl. Combine oil, eggs, and vanilla in a separate bowl and mix well. Stir grated sweet potatoes into wet mixture. Combine wet ingredients with flour mixture. Stir in walnuts until just combined. Spread batter in loaf pan. Bake until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out dry, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let stand on a rack for 15 minutes. Use a sharp knife along the edges of the pan to release the bread and continue to cool.

In the fields, there are signs that the growing season at Restoration Farm is drawing to a close …


©2009 T.W. Barritt All Rights Reserved

18 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

This recipe sounds deliciously fortifying T.W. I just may have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing..

P.S. Happy Fluffernutter Day!!!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

My new favorite way to cook sweet potatoes is the ultimate in savory -- cut into chunks, roasted with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper, until crusty on the outside. But I think that my husband who has more of a sweet tooth would love this cake.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your sweet potato walnut bread looks perfect for breakfast, which is what time it is here. Sometimes I like to substitute sweet potatoes for pumpkin in pumpkin pie. I'm sad growing season has come to an end, but I'll be looking forward to your visits to Restoration Farms again in the spring.
Sam

Kalyn Denny said...

I would almost always vote for savory over sweet when it comes to cooking sweet potatoes (and thank you for not calling them yams!) But this sounds very enticing. I agree, it sounds perfect for breakfast! Saving the recipe now, maybe I will try to make a diet-friendly version of this. (Also intrigued by the sound of that cookbook, love those types of books! Are they for sale anywhere?)

Christo Gonzales said...

how can I visit this farm?

Foodiewife said...

Between pumpkin and sweet potatoes, I could eat a different recipe every day and never tire of it. I really like the simplicity of this recipe. I'd like mine with a hot cup of coffee!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This bread looks delicious! I'd love to visit this farm too!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love sweet potatoes but never made desserts with it. Sounds good.

Proud Italian Cook said...

This sounds so good and different. I'm putting sweet potatoes on my shopping list today!

susan said...

This is my first visit here and I am glad I came. A recipe with two of my favorites-sweet potatoes and walnuts. I will comfort myself with the nutritinal value of those two while eating this :)

Rondell said...

Ooooh! Rondell mouth be watering! I finna make me some sweet potato pie for a snack!

Lori Lynn said...

I would love that bread with a cup of hot coffee. Great photos too.
LL

veron said...

I love sweet potato more than I do potato. This sounds like a yummy bread. Just in time for holiday baking!

Rondell said...

Veron, do us all a favor and stay away from the kitchen this holiday season. After them holiday cookies you made for us last year, and the resulting hours we spent on the terlit, I think we all could use a break.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Louise - it's very nutty and delicious, with a hint of sweet potato pie.

Lydia - more great uses for thyme!

Sam - I will miss the farm - things are winding down.

Kalyn - I got more sweet potatoes, so I'm going to try a savory option, too.

DB and Fresh - Restoration Farm is on the propertly of Old Bethpage Villiage on Long Island. You need to be part of the CSA to visit, but throughout the summer they have an excellent farm stand at the Old Bethpage Village visitors center as well.

Deb - that would hit the spot right now!

Helene - try it!

Proud - Thanks for stopping by - more ways to eat healthy sweet potatoes!

Susan - good nutrition in a sweet package! Thanks for visiting!

Rondell - Thanks for visiting! Healthy sweets in moderation can never be bad!

Hi Veron! It's never too early to start the holiday baking!

Karine said...

Such and original and delicious bread! thanks for sharing :)

Jann said...

Sad to see the farm closing for the season......some wonderful veggies came from there! I love anything with sweet potatoes-need to try this.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I have been experimenting with sweet potatoes in baking lately. My last creation was a sweet potato cake with cranberries and dates. Now this bread is going on my list. It sounds perfect for this time of year. Thanks, TW!